Frequently Asked Questions about Sports & Seasonal Sports Sign Ups

Q: What do I need to do to play a sport?

A:  A current Physical and Register at Family ID

Sports Physicals:

Q.    When do I need a physical?

A.     NYS requires all students in pre K or K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 to have school physicals.  If you are in grades 7-12 and want to play a sport, you must have a physical that is current. 

a. Medical exams are valid for qualifying a student's participation in sports for a period of 12 consecutive months.  Extensions on physicals are NOT accepted. 

b. The examination is valid through the last day of the month in which the examination was conducted.

c. If the 12-month period for the examination expires after the start of a sport season, participants may complete the season.  

1.     Physicals dated on or after 8/1/previous year qualifies the athlete for FALL sports only.

2.     Physicals dated on or after 11/1/previous year qualifies the athlete for FALL and WINTER sports only.

3.     Physicals dated on or after 3/1/current year qualifies the athlete for FALL, WINTER and SPRING sports.

Q.    Do I need a school physical and a sports physical?

A.     NO.  The annual physical your physician provides serves as a sports physical as long as he/she checks that you are physically qualified for the level of sports you intend to play (contact, limited contact, non-contact, etc).

Q.  Where should I get a school or sports physical?

A.     You are strongly encouraged to have a physical completed by your own physician, since he/she provides the best level of care for you. SCSD does provide sports physicals.  Dates and times for sports physicals are announced in the secondary school and on the Sodus Website (

Q.  What if I have a sports or gym restriction?

A.  The athlete must be cleared from restriction by their own physician.  The athlete must be cleared for the level of sport to be played (contact, limited contact, non-contact).  NOTE:  The school physician will not clear an athlete for sports if they have been restricted from PE or sports.

Q.  What if I need emergency medication such as inhaler, epi-pen, etc?

A.  If the athlete requires emergency medication such as inhalers or epi-pens, etc, the athlete must see their own physician and obtain a self-carry order for that medication.  It must be submitted to the school nurse prior to the beginning of the sports season.  Medication orders must be renewed annually. The school physician will not prescribe medication. 

Seasonal Sports Sign Up  

Q.    What is Seasonal Sports Sign Up?

A.     This is the "Green Sheet"that each parent fills out within 30 days of the beginning each sport season and attests to the student’s (your) health.  Recertification is sport and level specific.  High School students may change sport levels (freshman, JV, V), or sports, using the same form. 7th & 8th Graders undergoing selection classification for a specific sport or level must reapply if changing sport unless playing at modified level.  This Sign Up process is a NY State mandate for participation in sports.

Q.    When will Seasonal Sports Sign Up be done?

A.     Seasonal Sports Sign Up for sports is generally May for Fall sports, October for Winter sports and February for Spring sports.  They are announced during morning and afternoon announcements.  Students must pick up forms from their own building’s Health Office.  Seasonal Sports Sign Up is required within 30 days of the beginning of the sport practice.  Scheduled times for fall sports will be in August, and will be posted separately.  Forms must be handed in no later than 7 days prior to the beginning of the sport to allow for processing. 

Q.  Where do I obtain the Seasonal Sports Sign Up forms?

A.  Seasonal Sports Sign Up forms are available through the secondary school health offices.  Students must have a current physical on file in order to obtain this form for Winter and Spring sports.  For Fall sports, students may pick up the form in June prior to the end of the school year.  Health Office staff will check the physical date and note whether the student will need a physical prior to the beginning of Fall sports.  Forms are also available during the summer at the High School Main and Nurses Offices.  Forms are available for download on the website.

Q.    What is the difference between a sports physical and Seasonal Sports Sign Up?

A.     A sports physical is the form your physician uses to record his/her findings of the student’s health.  The physician signs this form.  The Seasonal Sports Sign Up form is a testament by the parent that there has been no change in health status, and gives permission for the student to play the sport at the requested level. The parent signs the form (we no longer have our students sign them).

Q.    How long is each form each good for?

A.     Sports physicals are good for one calendar year.  Seasonal Sports Sign Up is good for only the current sport season. A new Seasonal Sports Sign Up form must be completed for each season.