Dear Sodus Community,
Welcome to the 2018-2019 school year. Working with Sodus staff, parents and our community to do all we can to ensure our children’s success has been an absolute pleasure and is surely my highest priority. We worked during the 2017-2018 school year to put in place programs and structures that will help us build upon our successes. Here are a few examples of what you can expect during the 2018-2019 school year:
- Implementation of year two of our Strategic Plan (Plan for Excellence). This plan outlines our goals for the coming year and steps we will take to accomplish them. As a reminder, our plan is centered on four primary pillars: Educational Excellence, Employee Experience, Community Engagement, and Student Life. You can access our Plan for Excellence at soduscsd.org. Click on District and scroll down to Strategic Plan.
- Continued intensive focus on the implementation of our K-6 ELA curriculum (Journeys and Collections).
- Continued intensive focus on the implementation of our K-8 mathematics curriculum (Math Expressions and Math in Focus).
- Continued intensive focus on K-12 curriculum development. As the Standards and assessments continue to change, we will ensure that our students are receiving the best instruction possible.
- Continued intensive focus on early literacy. Our goal is for Sodus students to read at or above grade level every June.
- Continued focus on communication. If you have ideas for how we can improve the way we communicate with you, please let us know.
- Implementation of personalized learning. It is our desire to ensure that instruction is personalized to meet the unique needs of every child. Every child learns differently and we will be utilizing many new strategies this year to accommodate these varying needs (use of technology, flexible seating, station rotation, instructional playlists, to name a few). In addition, by the start of the 2019-2020 school year, every student in our district will have a computing device (Chromebook). I believe that this is one of the most exciting endeavors Sodus has embarked on in years. This is a game changer for our staff, our students, and community. They deserve the best and will finally be getting it!
- Upgrades to our technological infrastructure, including district-wide Wi-Fi installation. This will occur in late December/early January.
- Increased focus on school safety. School safety has been and will continue to be a priority focus at our school. I am pleased to announce that Sodus now has a full-time School Resource Officer. Deputy Caitlin Fitzgerald, a Sodus resident and member of the Wayne County Sheriff’s Department, is patrolling the Sodus campus and school buildings every school day. We are very excited to have Deputy Fitzgerald with us. She will be assisting with all matters related to school, student, and staff safety. Please be sure to introduce yourself to her when you see her.
It is an honor and privilege to serve as your Superintendent of Schools. I am excited for the 2018-2019 school year and sincerely hope this will be your child’s best school year yet. As always, if you ever have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to call me at (315) 483-5201 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org. Here’s to an outstanding 2018-2019 school year.
Superintendent of Schools